axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Axis2 Deployer behaviour on hot update
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:07:54 GMT
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <deepalk@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes a few bugs, first if the service create any connection like DB or
> file and put into ConFigCTX then those will not be removed when we do
> the undeployment since service does not know that. Second, if they add
> any properties to ConFigCtx then the same thing happens. Third it is

Any state that's put into the contexts are runtime state. I was referring
only to the static data that's in AxisService/AxisConfiguration etc. - that
stuff can just fall off right?

Even today, if you call undeploy I don't see how that can tell a service to
remove things like DB connections. Those need to be tied to runtime state
and somehow associated to messages.

hard to detect when to finish the current message processing, because
> request follows different invocation depending on the MEP. Forth if the
> service uses something like RM, then we are not going to inform RM about
> that, so those state will remain there. Fifth based on where we have
> lib, we load classes various class loaders, so at the deployment time we
> can not 100% guarantee that we are going to unload all the classes.
> There may be some other, which did not come into my mind.....

Well if we load new version of a service its just another AxisService and
all the classes loaded by a different class loader. The only issue where
there's overlap is when that object is given a name and stuffed into hashmap
in AxisConfig (via ServiceGroup but let's ignore that complication for now).

I agree its hard/impossible to know when the messages in the system are
"done". I think what's done in Synapse is they "wait for a while" .. and
after that kill off whatever you can and say done.

Anyway, I like the idea and its worth looking into. I'm sure there will be
lots of little gotchas that come up :).

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/