axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please revert API changes done as per AXIS2-4465
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:06:20 GMT
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> I would like to inform all of you that I decided to significantly
> reduce my activity in the Axis2 project. Over the last months I have
> worked primarily on JIRA issues and on improving the test suites of
> SAAJ and ADB [1]. This work has put me in the line of fire of people
> who are not willing or not able to let a discussion occur in a
> constructive way. Considering that I dedicate some of my free time to
> do this and that my professional life is already stressful enough, I
> can live very well without this. Doing the dirty job of fixing bugs is
> simply not worth it under these conditions.
>
> The fact is that in AXIS2-4465, I have implemented a fix that
> inadvertently removed a public method and causing a subtle issue in a
> dependent project. I have been immediately accused of drastic and
> deliberate changes to public APIs and these accusations went as far as
> talking about "merrily chang[ing] APIs" and "things are going to
> become a big mess". In addition these accusations have been put
> forward while being vague on the exact issue that the fix caused (the
> complete information about this was only disclosed in the 35th post in
> this thread). This caused the discussion to quickly degrade instead of
> remaining focused on the facts and drawing the conclusions after
> analyzing those facts. Furthermore, in another thread, my fix in
> AXIS2-4465 has been implicitly put on a level with a proposed
> modification that would change the deployment subsystem, dispatchers
> and transports. I think that all this goes way beyond legitimate
> criticism and also way beyond what one would expect in a constructive
> discussion.

First of all I should thank you for your good work in Axis2 specially for
ADB. I think it is a coinside that all three people worked with ADB codegen
has the name starting with A (Ajith, Amila, Andreas) :)

I feel sorry for the first reason you have mentioned. But I think this is
not the first time of that. If you see the
Deepals comments on what Isuru has done I can't see any positiveness. I am
not saying it is correct but I would like to ask you not to take them
personal. I think at least you got an agreeable solution at the end. Anyway
disscussing things in dev list always is a good idea.

The second reason you have mention I think is a complete misunderstanding.
There is no connection between those two.

I my point of view there is no point in contributing an open source project
in a stress. But try to do for the fun :).

Hope you use your free time and contribute to axis2 as you were, in furture
as well.

thanks,
Amila.

--