axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Is Axis2 dying?
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:43:10 GMT
Dennis, ALL of the original people who worked on Axis2 from LSF/WSO2 are now
in different places - most of them are in grad schools. One of the really
great things that Axis2 has managed to do is attract a fairly broad
community of people - IBM has contributed a lot even though they're quiet
now. There are people from SoftwareAG contributing a lot and a lot of
others.

While I don't disagree with Glen that there are lots of places to improve,
it is a fact that Axis2 "just works" now. As a result, for example, I don't
expect to see any major work on say Axiom .. unless someone comes up with a
brilliant idea on how to make radical changes that would have a lot of
impact. One of the things we did reasonably well with Axis2 have a lot of
plug points - so for example in WSO2 we've used those a lot in WSO2 (to
write providers for other languages for example).

This is hardly a dying project - its a mature stable project and frankly,
WS-* core platform code is just going to be that for a while ... thank
goodness the damned specs are done.

I agree the transports issue is real - if the other transports don't work
then we do have an issue. Glen?

Sanjiva.