axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Is Axis2 dying?
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:54:36 GMT
Hi Dennis,

First of all, it is not true that Axis2 work is lead by WSO2 any more ..
that changed a long time ago. We're continuing to contribute but we're not
the only contributors. IBM was contributing too but they seem to have take
things in-house (again) but I may be wrong (hopefully someone will speak
up).

I think Axis2 is pretty much a stable product now and lots of people are
using it productively. If there are issues that matter to you then as one of
the developers should also look at it; there's no "company" action here!
That's simply not the way Apache works. In reality, projects go thru peak
development times and stable times. From my personal point of view, Axis2 is
"done" and its working. You've got something scratching? Well, you know how
to itch it :). Of course there are 100s of JIRAs but if its not a thing that
bothers people it won't get fixed. This is open source; please fix it or
find a way to make the bug something that bothers people.

Every Axis2 release took months to do. Why? Beats the hell of out of me on
one side but on the other side its because there are so many dependent
projects.

Totally +1 for fixing the Web site stuff up. If the docs are messed up then
we should do a 1.5.1 release.

Sanjiva.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to wonder about the health of the Axis2 project, and thought
> it might be useful to initiate a discussion on this topic.
>
> The 1.5 release of Axis2 took 8 months from initial proposal to when it
> finally escaped out the door, and the results frankly don't seem to reflect
> the amount of elapsed time. Even the Javadocs are messed up in the release
> (as well as on the website). One of the main features headlined in the
> release notes is the transport refactoring - but the only transport
> available is HTTP, since there seems to be no inclination to get out a
> release of the new commons transports (which IMHO shows why splitting these
> off into a separate project was a bad idea). There isn't even an entry in
> the WS-Commons page at http://ws.apache.org/commons/projects-overview.htmlfor the transports,
so it's hard to tell the state of this project. There's

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/