axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Fager <jason.fa...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject Re: Releasing transports 1.0 - dependency resolutions
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:18:40 GMT
> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>
>> 2) Move the base, local, tcp, and http transport modules back to Axis2
>> and release them with Axis2. That way the transports project would
>> only have the 'optional' transport modules and we wouldn't have to
>> release the transports for/with Axis2.
>>

> +1 for this approach. Having two projects which are mutually dependent
> on each other is just plain stupid.

Agreed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that moving the relevant parts of
one directly into the other is smart.  The normal way to break a cyclical
dependency is to introduce a third element with no dependency on either,
that both elements can in turn depend on; or a third element with a
dependency on both, that neither themselves depend on. I.e: factor out the
bits that both share into a common api, or to create a separate artifact
that glues the parts together as needed. (I'm still new around here, I'm not
familiar enough with the codebase to know which makes more sense in this
case).

- Jason