axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Barek <bar...@gmail.com>
Subject anyURI MalformedURIException with UTF-8 characters - bug or feature?
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:15:50 GMT
Is Apache Axis correct in disallowing international (UTF-8) characters in
anyURI tags when processing responses to web services requests?

I've looked at the specification at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#anyURI, and as far as I can see,
anyURIs can contain any character, so long as the
resulting of URL encoring the URL is valid. This simple test case
illustrates the problem:

class Test {
   try {
   org.apache.axis.types.URI uri = new org.apache.axis.types.URI("
http://www.utdanningsdirektoratet.no/templates/udir/TM_Læreplan.aspx?id=2100&laereplanid=707207<http://www.utdanningsdirektoratet.no/templates/udir/TM_L%C3%A6replan.aspx?id=2100&laereplanid=707207>
");
   } catch(Exception e) {
     System.out.println(e);
   }
 }
}

If anyone can provide me with any background / reasons on why Axis indeed is
correct in invalidating this URI, I would be very grateful.
(If I can point to which standards our web services vendor is breaking, then
I have a much better case to get them to stop putting norwegian characters
in their anyURIs. :)

Best regards,
Kristian Barek