axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sameera Jayasoma" <sameera.madus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Axis2 Java with OSGi - some help appreciated
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 04:06:18 GMT
On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Mike Edwards <
mike.edwards.inglenook@gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am writing as a developer on the Apache Tuscany project.
>
> We are building a version of Tuscany that runs on OSGi - and we use Axis2
> in our codebase.
>
> We're experiencing some problems associated with running Axis2 with Tuscany
> under OSGi and I'd
> appreciate any help you can give us.
>
> The problem we've run into relates to user-provided Message Receiver
> classes that are part of the
> Tuscany code and which are configured into axis2.xml as follows:
>
>    <messageReceivers>
>
>       <!-- Added by Tuscany -->
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/wsdl/in-only"
>

> class="org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.ws.axis2.Axis2ServiceInMessageReceiver"/>
>
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/wsdl/in-only"
>
> class="org.apache.axis2.receivers.RawXMLINOnlyMessageReceiver"/>
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/wsdl/in-out"
>
> class="org.apache.axis2.receivers.RawXMLINOutMessageReceiver"/>
>
>       <!-- Added by Tuscany -->
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/wsdl/in-out"
>

> class="org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.ws.axis2.Axis2ServiceInOutSyncMessageReceiver"/>
>
>       <!-- Added by Tuscany -->
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2006/01/wsdl/in-only"
>

> class="org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.ws.axis2.Axis2ServiceInMessageReceiver"/>
>
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2006/01/wsdl/in-only"
>
> class="org.apache.axis2.receivers.RawXMLINOnlyMessageReceiver"/>
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2006/01/wsdl/in-out"
>
> class="org.apache.axis2.receivers.RawXMLINOutMessageReceiver"/>
>
>       <!-- Added by Tuscany -->
>        <messageReceiver mep="http://www.w3.org/2006/01/wsdl/in-out"
>

> class="org.apache.tuscany.sca.binding.ws.axis2.Axis2ServiceInOutSyncMessageReceiver"/>
>
>    </messageReceivers>
>
> When we run the code using OSGi, we get class loading exceptions for those
> Tuscany message receiver
> classes, since the code that loads those classes is in the Axis2 code
> (AxisConfigBuilder) - but that
> code has no declared dependencies on the Tuscany packages containing the
> message receivers - so that
> we get class not found exceptions.
>
> Do you have a solution for this problem?

Yes.  As you have mentioned the problem here is, The class loader which
loads Axis2 classes does not see the Tuscany classes.  You can use
DynamicaImport-Package OSGi manifest header for the Axis2 bundle.

DynamicImport-Package: *

This allows Axis2 bundle to dynamically load classes from other bundles
which are not wired during the Resolving process performed by the OSGi
framework implementation. At the same time, you need to export the package
in which message receiver classes reside.

> I got the code working with the Eclipse/Equinox version of OSGi by patching
> the following into the
> manifest for the axis2-kernel jar:
>
> Eclipse-BuddyPolicy: dependent
>
> ...and then declaring the relevant Tuscany jar files as being buddies of
> the axis2-kernel bundle in
> thier manifests.

Seems like your implementation works only with Equinox, since you have used
Equinox specific constructs.

> However, I know that this is really a sticking-plaster solution and will
> only currently work for the
> Equinox version of OSGi.  Do you have a nice neat solution that will work
> for all the OSGi
> implementations?

Yes.  We, in WSO2 have built WSO2 Carbon [1]  which runs on OSGi. WSO2
Carbon is the base platform for all the WSO2 java projects. Carbon uses
Axis2 and we have solved most of these problems.

[1] http://wso2.org/projects/carbon

--
Sameera Jayasoma
Software Engineer