axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:31:54 GMT
Hi,
See my comments inline.

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Amila Suriarachchi
<amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> By going through all these discussions what I can think of is that going for
> TLP neither make it better nor worse.
>
>> Ok why do you want to move Axiom out from Axis2 , because it has a big
>> advantage when it is there in WS than in Axis2.
>
> yes. The advantage here is that they have separate svn and they can have
> independent releases. Axis2 can depends on particular Axiom Version while
> people developing Axiom. or Rampart/Sandesha can use a pirticular
> Axis2 version (if need) and can have independent releases.
>
> So in this scene WS project has broken things into separate manageable
> components with the time. Of course this has happened generally with the
> time and may happen in future as well.
>
> What is the big management advantage we get moving them to TLPs?

Clarification here. There is not going to be axiom.apache.org or
rampart.apache.org. Only Axis2 is going to move to a TLP and directly
related sub projects will be under that as subprojects.

> I agree that there are a lot of jiras and incomplete web sits. The reason
> for this is lack of time committees getting to work on these project due to
> various personal reasons. So I think this is a different issue which can not
> be addressed by going for TLP.
>
> For an example both Ajith and Chinthaka were very active committers in this
> project. But now they only participate in discussions. Can we expect any
> change after going TLP? Lets say Deepal going to fix 50 issues after going
> TLP, why he can not do it now? (Here I have nothing make personal I try to
> explain what I want to say)

True - As I have mentioned numerous times earlier there is not going
to be any magic that solves
our problems when Axis2 is moved to TLP. Instead we get a focused
commiterbase and a PMC. When we attract
committers we get to them to a more focused project. There is not
going to be anything new happening
with the current committers. instead we spare the confusion to all the newbies.

>> > Anyway, why I don't agree is I don't see a problem with the current
>> > way. Even if there is a problem, I still don't see how things will be
>> > better if we go to multiple TLPs.
>> My concern is , Axis2 does not get what it is supposed to get.  It is
>> just stay inside something called WS. While some other Web service
>> project acting as TLP.
>
> Well, are you saying that being a TLP a prestigious status? Of course this
> is a personal thing and I am not thinking like that. If so that is a
> different concern.

There is a sense of independence and an expanded state of visibility
in being a TLP. Why do you
think the new projects graduating from incubator want to go TLP
directly rather than hanging around as
subprojects  of an umbrella ? why is it that we see most of the
donated projects (say hadoop and lucene from Yahoo or
xmlbeans from BEA) becoming TLP's rather than settling down as
subprojects ? IMHO the expanded visibility
gives better opportunities to market themselves and also help them
increase their focused commiterbase.

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its
creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain
too little falls into lazy habits of thinking - Albert Einstein