axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Thilina Gunarathne" <cset...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Committing patch contributed for MIME message parser and serializer based on Apache mime4j [WSCOMMONS-387]
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 03:58:40 GMT
Hi Asanka,Hope you've seen  the following thread before posting this..
http://markmail.org/message/ayjxurjz2fow7hit

Quoting one of Oleg's mail,
"Presently the patch I submitted (WSCOMMONS-387) does not provide support
for the deferred parsing, but it should be relatively trivial to add it."
I'm against committing the patch unless *at least* the above is implemented.

IIRC the consensus of that thread are as follows,
1. Create a new branch and complete the patch to perform what Axiom is
capable of doing at the moment.
2. Put this behind an interface so that we can switch the implementations.

IIRC Oleg has commit rights in WS.  Hence I assume he can go ahead and start
developing in a branch on Axiom (which at that time I thought will happen
after the above mail thread).

To be honest, I'm not fan of doing drastic changes to a working code base
without having extensive proof (in this case a branch that works) that it'll
work. Especially if it involves throwing away some existing code.

thanks,
Thilina

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com>wrote:

> Let's do #2 and everyone will be happy...
>
> -- dims
>
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 10:32 -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >> Oleg,
> >>
> >> Yes, we need to do exactly what you mention first.
> >>
> >> "The whole trouble is that Axiom currently does not allow for multiple
> >> implementations of MIME processing as it does not have an abstract API
> >> for that to start with."
> >>
> >> -- dims
> >>

> > Davanum,
> >
> > Frankly, I could not care less about the underlying implementation, as
> > long as the Axiom API enabled me (1) parse and build MIME messages
> > without buffering various parts in memory (2) replace certain bits If
> > the default implementation did not quite meet the specific application
> > requirements. Currently neither 1 nor 2 is the case. Hence my attempt at
> > fixing both issues. I chose mime4j because I thought Axiom project might
> > want to depend on a generic library rather than maintaining its own
> > implementation.
> >
> > Oleg

> processing
> implementation,