axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:52:47 GMT
I'd certainly +1 a new TLP for Axiom. Given that its being used broadly by
others too I think that makes sense.

However there are complications there too - one of Axiom's KEY values is
its natural MTOM/XOP awareness. That's a bit hard to justify without the
relationship to SOAP. Under no condition can we lost that obviously as
that's one of the foundational bits of Axiom.

Also, I've always wanted to build a type-aware version of Axiom .. one
that parses directly out of the XML event stream into a typed data model.
I guess that's a bit of what SXC does too. (The other thing I've long
wanted to do is a to do a custom parser that avoids copying etc..)
However, a lot of this extra metadata for parsing would be coming from
WSDL etc. - which again will tie it to SOAP stuff.

Overall, I think the Axiom TLP makes most sense right now vs. an axis2 TLP
as that's the most standalone of the lot.

Sanjiva.

Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>> Hi Sanjiva:
>>
>> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>>> Deepal, so just so I understand - are you saying you *don't* want to
>>> keep Axiom with Axis2?
>> I'm not sure about Deepal, but I don't in fact think keeping Axiom
>> under the Axis2 project (yes, even despite the acronym :)) makes
>> sense.  In my version of the "new world order", Axis2 and the
>> components that are *Axis2-specific* (i.e. cannot profitably be used
>> outside Axis2) should be in the Axis2 project.  The stuff that is
>> reusable and more generally focused (i.e. Axiom, Neethi, XmlSchema,
>> etc) should IMO remain in WS so it can continue to be shared.
>>
>> If we're talking about moving Axiom/Neethi/etc., then it really is
>> pretty much s/Web Services/Axis2/g and I wouldn't be in favor of that.
> +1 .I understand what you mean , yes they should not come under Axis2 ,
> and in fact we should try to get Axiom as a TLP (im not sure about Neethi).
>
> Deepal
>> --Glen

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/