axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Isuru Suriarachchi" <isur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WSS4J 1.5.4 Encryption Performance Question
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:46:21 GMT
Hi,

As paul has explained, we have developed a new WS-Security implementation
totally on Axiom. Our intention was to find a solution for the well known
performance drawbacks of Rampart. According to performance results we
obtained at the end of our project, I can say that we have achieved our
goal.
One of the main reasons for Rampart performacne drawbacks is the usage of
DOM as the object model in WSS4J and XML-Sec implementations. As top Rampart
layer uses Axiom, DOOM conversion is done to convert the object model into
DOM. So we have implemented WS-Security and XML-Security entirely using
Axiom and that removes the requirement for DOOM. And also as Axiom is pull
based, it saves lot of memory when it comes to invalid messages if they are
rejected without building the whole message.
The other major problem with Rampart is that WSS4J is not WS-SecurityPolicy
aware. So the policy based validations of secured SOAP messages are done
after going through all the WS-Security validations steps in WSS4J. This
wastes both memory and processing power if the message is not according to
policy. In order to remove this drawback, we have made our WS-Security
implementation policy aware. So the token proccessors can do policy
validations themselves.
In addition to above mentioned improvements, we have done various code level
improvements as well. Specially in invalid message cases like DOS attacks,
our implementation performs extremely efficiently than Rampart. In other
words, it rejects the messages far earlier than Rampart.
I have explained our WS-Security model in the article at
http://wso2.org/library/articles/ws-security-processing-models-along-ws-securitypolicy-1
.

Thanks,
Isuru