axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <>
Subject supporting multiple message receivers for a given operation
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:22:05 GMT
This is an issue Keith and I discussed (a while ago) and I don't think I
saw it on the list .. I just remembered it hence the sudden email (no
particular urgency on it; it just came up).

It is possible that a single POJO (for example) can offer both a RESTful
interface and a normal SOAP interface. In fact, that can happen by having
both JAX-RS and JAX-WS annotations on the same pojo.

We currently can't handle that because the message receiver is associated
with the AxisOperation and not BindingOperation. IMO that was a mistake ..
the detail of how you take the message and construct the data is really
binding dependent and should've been on binding operation in the first
place. (Well we didn't have binding ops in the first place .. so that's
the reason they never went there.)

So what we talked about was to introduce the ability to set the MR on the
binding operation but to keep the ability to set it on the operation
itself. That allows us to be totally backwards compatible but it solve the
problem for wanting both a RESTful and a WS-* binding for the same
operation for example.

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation;
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;
Member; Apache Software Foundation;
Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa;

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message