axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Deepal jayasinghe <deep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:47:01 GMT

> One reason is that they have found that a small focused PMC/committer
> set takes better care of the code, web site, releases, legal issues
> and basic oversight of day to day workings of a PMC better than a huge
> umbrella PMC. For example, personally i think Synapse has thrived
> after it left the fold.

I have to agree with Dims here , because at the moment WS is a very big
project with a number of sub-projects.
And WS consists of three main project as well , which is Apache SOAP ,
Axis1 and Axis2.
Specially Axis1 and Axis2 has a number of sub projects as well. So
managing them efficient  manner is a challenging job ,
and specially for the PMC chair it is lot of work. Therefore it is
always a good idea to modularize them.
> Take a look at our web site(s), take a look at our release
> schedules(s) - for all projects, take a look at our bug tracker(s).
> Does anyone see that we are doing an excellent job?

I am sorry I do not understand what do you mean by bug tracker , is that
the problem of number of issues
or is it a problem of we are not taking care of them ?
> We need to gather momentum, going TLP is an excellent way to do that.
> A small focused team that is working on a single goal of getting a
> good set of Axis2 related projects going is i think the right way to
> go. I think the Axis2 eco system will do better when we go TLP.

:)
> Personally, I'd really like to get all of us committed, willing and
> able to contribute in a much more coordinated fashion then we are
> today. We don't hang out on IRC, no weekly chats, not much forward
> looking discussions, not much enthusiasm or cooperation anymore from
> looking at the mailing lists. I am trying to see if we can jumpstart
> that as well with this proposal.

Well part of the reason behind that is everyone is busy with their day
to day work ,
for example when we start Axis2 we were fully focus on Axis2 .
So it was so easy for us to do all those , but now we work on Axis2 and
answer the mail
when we get some free time. Anyway I agree that there are some
improvements that we need to do.

Thanks
Deepal
> fwiw, Juddi and xmlrpc do not have sufficient people on board to go
> TLP as of this moment. Yes, we should try harder to get more people
> involved there or we end up moth-balling them.
>
> thanks,
> dims
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana
> <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
>
>> I'm -1 because the Axis2 project is not just axis2- its a collection of
>> enabling pieces (axiom, neethi at least) and a bunch of up stream components
>> (rampart, sandesha2, kandula2, wss4j etc.). So its really the "web services"
>> project with an entire ws-* framework being covered by that. Calling the
>> whole thing axis2 is not right as its not just about axis2.
>>
>> I would like to clearly identify components within the ws project that are
>> retired or "finished". These include (from what I know) scout, wsif, axis1,
>> jaxme, kandula1, and sandesha1. However, as Nadra's message shows, there are
>> parts of the "axis1 family" still alive and kicking.
>>
>> There are other projects that I think do not use axis1 or axis2 - for
>> example juddi & xmlrpc - that I think could go TLP on their own to reduce
>> the size of ws.
>>
>> So I'm -1.
>>
>> However, Glen, what was the motivation for originating that thread? Is there
>> something broken that needs to be fixed? IIRC Dims was always against
>> splitting when he was PMC chair and I'd like to hear the reason for and
>> against by both Glen and Dims too.
>>
>> Sanjiva.
>>
>> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> There was a WS PMC thread which has not yet shown up here....
>>>
>>> So, WDYT? Could we spin off Axis2 and related projects into a separate
>>> TLP? Pros / Cons / Thoughts welcome.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> dims
>>>

>> --