axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Deepal jayasinghe <deep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Moving all the transports into a common modules
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:19:24 GMT
Hi Paul and all,
> Deepal
>
> There is a problem :)
>
> The JMS transport is completely different. So we can't take the
> Synapse JMS transport and give it the name of the different (old)
> Axis2 transport.

That is fine , because JMS is not a commonly used transport in Axis2 , I
mean most of the people use HTTP. So I have no issue with giving any
kind of package name for JMS transport.
> The second problem is that (suppose) Synapse would like to do a
> release before the next Axis2 release. Because the old transports are
> still in the Axis2 core, we cannot ship the updated Commons
> Transports.

Nope , all the transports codes are in commons (except Axis2 related
transports and utilities , which we are not going move anyway)
> Also, the transports are only named in axis2.xml right? I don't think
> there are backwards compatibility issues.
The problem is when we add a transport we add the full qualified package
name , so then there is a problem. Meaning if someone need to upgrade
into next version of Axis2 then he has to change axis2.xml again , not
only that there may be instances where the generated code does not work
as well.
> We have never (afaik)
> maintained full compatibility for axis2.xml.

Well , I do not agree here , we did not do any major changes after 1.1
release (in fact I always -1 for those changes ;-) ). We stop doing
major package rename and interface changes.

So I can not understand why we need to the change the package name of
the transports. There is no hard and fast rule saying that the package
name of all the classes are in ws-commons has to be like that and this .
IMO changing package name is not that something we really need ,it just
nice to have. So , its better to think about the backward compatibility
than nice to have features. :-)

Thank you!
Deepal

Thank you!