axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Davanum Srinivas" <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Axis2 as TLP
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:51:08 GMT
I am trying to be a bit more optimistic that shaking things up may
help generate enthusiasm. Though given Paul's and other people's
response. I may be doing more harm than good. If these projects are
beyond salvage. So be it then. Question is should we even bother to
ask everyone with a VOTE or just give up right now...

thanks,
dims

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe
<samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>
>> Samisa,
>>
>> You have hit the nail on the head. People are who they are. Right now
>> the umbrella is so vast that everyone is able to hide behind others.
>> There is no accountability. When there is a smaller group of active
>> people, There will be better accountability to each other and to the
>> board and to our end users.
>>
>> There are tactics that we can employ for example, we should make a new
>> single release including all projects including XmlSchema, Rampart and
>> Sandesha with Axis2. But still make extra releases of say Sandesha2 as
>> necessary as well separately for Sandesha. You will ask, why can't we
>> do this today and i'll say that these kind of tactics work better with
>> a TLP like focus.
>>

> IMHO, sometimes, even getting an Axis2 release out of the door becomes a
> rolling stone, and takes so much time. I am not really sure how it would be
> to combine all those efforts together.
>
> Some of the long running and trivial issues like the crappy web site can be
> easily solved, give some cycles. Even I can volunteer to do that. However,
> you have to consider the long tail, if at all a TLP is to be taken up. Even
> it might be a good idea to make Axis3 yes 3 a TLP, but not Axis2. Becase
> Axis2 as a TLP would not be the same as the Axis2 as it used to be, both in
> technical fronts as well as in non-technical fronts.
>
> Thanks,
> Samisa...
>
>> thanks,
>> dims
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe
>> <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> How can a TLP solve all these? If people are who they are now, even after
>>> making Axis2 a TLP, the bad websites and bad release cycles will remain.
>>> On the other hand, if we cannot sync the releases of Axis2's sub
>>> projects,
>>> then irrespective of Axis2 being a TLP, it would turn out to be a useless
>>> project. Because one of Axis2's key strenghts is the set of sub projects
>>> it
>>> has.
>>>
>>> So IMHO, what is more important is to solve the above problems. However,
>>> doubt if TLP would be a solution for that.
>>>
>>> Samisa...

How

Those