axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [AXIS2] Should JSON messages be considered as REST?
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:55:39 GMT

JSON is a YAML language
and YAML is short for "Aint a Markup Language"
YAML easily maps data types common to most
high-level languages: list, hash, and scalar to
YAML hierarchies are structured according to indents e.g.
receipt:     Oz-Ware Purchase
   Invoice
date: 2007-08-06

   customer:

     given:   Dorothy
    family:  Gale

and a corresponding JSON example would be
var receipt_item = [
   {"receipt": "OZ Ware Purchase"},
   {"customer" :
     {"given": "Dorothy", "family": "Gale"}
   }
];
so why would anyone care to use JSON?
Dojo passes JSON JavaScript Object Notational arrays from XMLHttpRequest
its up to 30 times faster to process JSON over XML
what are the dangers? JSON could be loaded with malicious JS as with eval(JSON) ..its up to
the coder
to check for malicious JS behaviour and or scriptlets ..generally checking hrefs and any or
redirect
http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/part-3-programmatic-dijit-and-dojo/ajax-transports/passing-data-json

php has some utilities which parse JSON such as json_encode ..doc available at
http://www.php.net/json_encode

a fairly descriptive and intuitive explanation of JSON is available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note