axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Representing a Birthday in a distributed scenario
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:10:15 GMT
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Eran Chinthaka
<eran.chinthaka@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Sanjaya Karunasena <sanjayak@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I am happy! Finally there is some one who is interested in this topic :-)
>
> Hmm, I know there are some more people interested in these issues. It is
> just that they are much busier than me ;)
>

> I think I can understand the issue  ( I guess so). DateTime within Java
> might have a problem, as explained by you. But don't you have to live with
> it, if you select to use it.
>
> When some one associates a type with it, he should know the limitations of
> it and select the proper one. So if you think Java DateTime is not
> appropriate, there are two options I can see for this problem.
>
> 1.. Define your own type with the level of accuracy you want and associate
> it as the type
> 2.  Pass your own type mapping to the system, with your util library date
> time util mapping to xsd:datetime.
>
> You agree that, this is a use case, which is rare. So I think asking the
> users to provide their own type mapping is a fare deal.

Yep. We have enough flexibility in the system to allow users customize
their code generation. I suppose we even have some documentation as
part of the standard doc release of how to go about doing that. So if
they really want custom times they can change the type mapping to
change their own types.

> This is not a design problem, within Axis2, as I see. If you are not
> comfortable with the type mapping, we have the extensibility to provide a
> different one (Ajith and Amila, please correct me if I'm wrong). So it is a
> good design we have I guess ;)

No need for correction :) In fact  AFAIR the typemapper is completely
separated so that when you want to generate code for a different
language (say C) all you need is to replace the typemapper and the
templates (might have to do a bit of tweaking of other components as
well but they won't be huge)

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its
creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain
too little falls into lazy habits of thinking - Albert Einstein