axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Eran Chinthaka" <eran.chinth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Representing a Birthday in a distributed scenario
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:59:49 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Sanjaya Karunasena <sanjayak@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I am happy! Finally there is some one who is interested in this topic :-)

Hmm, I know there are some more people interested in these issues. It is
just that they are much busier than me ;)

I think I can understand the issue  ( I guess so). DateTime within Java
might have a problem, as explained by you. But don't you have to live with
it, if you select to use it.

When some one associates a type with it, he should know the limitations of
it and select the proper one. So if you think Java DateTime is not
appropriate, there are two options I can see for this problem.

1.. Define your own type with the level of accuracy you want and associate
it as the type
2.  Pass your own type mapping to the system, with your util library date
time util mapping to xsd:datetime.

You agree that, this is a use case, which is rare. So I think asking the
users to provide their own type mapping is a fare deal.

This is not a design problem, within Axis2, as I see. If you are not
comfortable with the type mapping, we have the extensibility to provide a
different one (Ajith and Amila, please correct me if I'm wrong). So it is a
good design we have I guess ;)

--
With Mettha,
Eran Chinthaka

Health is the greatest gift; contentment is the greatest wealth; trusting is
the best relationship; nirvana is the highest joy. - Dhammapada