axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Saminda Abeyruwan" <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extensions to Axis2/Java deployment engine
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:30:08 GMT

1. When aar/mar behavior is mimicked in an OSGi bundle, these bundles be
able to live in different class spaces.
   ex: If the bundles needed different hibernate versions they can be easily
plug into different class spaces.

2. We will be able to have multiple version of Axis2 instancres running
inside same JVM.
   This require the need of minimizing System properties.

3. Axis2 will be able to initiate same transport with different versions.
   This will require proper integration of OSGi services. I haven't touched
this area yet, otherwise whole situation will be overwhelming.

4.  OSGi life-cycle support. This will give the ability to
start/stop/install/update/uninstall bundles.
    ex: I have myModule.jar which would mimic myModule.mar. We will be able
use the above actions to to manipulate the AxisModule as we need.

5.  Once a user has written a bundle (which mimic aar/mar/transport/etc),
they just need to upload them into a "Axis2 bundle repository", where the
community can search them and install them into there system, without
shutting down the running system.

6. OSGi event framework. When bundle is (aar/mar/transport/etc)
install/started/updated/uninstall, using OSGi events other bundles can
change there behaviour.

7. When bundle are properly designed, one will be able to deploy these
bundles in any OSGi environment. Most of the app servers are in the path of
supporting OSGi. All we have to do is to drop our bundles in their
repositories and start them

8. User can use resources (html/jsp/ etc) needed for aar/mar in bundles.
Using HttpService (impl may be native or provided) we will be able to expose
them. Equinox has provided some cool bundles,  which can be used all OSGi
impls such as "servlet-bridge".

8. Once the ConfigurationContext become an OSGi service, any bundle can
access it and  use it.

9. People will be able to use OSGi registry to register POJOs as OSGi
services and make them as web services (
http://www.knopflerfish.org/releases/current/doc/bundledoc/index.html)

10. People would need  minimum effort to integrate into OSGi powered Spring
etc.

In Synapse point of view.

1. Mediators can be written as OSGi bundles. When you start the bundle, the
proper factory is called and build the relevant object model.

2. Different version of same mediator is highly possible. i.e two mediator
can live in two different class spaces.

3. You will be able to remove Sun service providers facility of loading
extension to bundles, which will be support in all Java implementations.

4. Synapse guys like embedded devices ?

Thank you!

Saminda