axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "David Illsley" <davidills...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extensions to Axis2/Java deployment engine
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:26:42 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Deepal Jayasinghe <deepal@opensource.lk> wrote:

>> Hi Deepal,
>> I know decisions were made about various things before I was on the
>> scene,
>
> ;-)
>
> And we did not know about OSGi when we design Axis2.
>
>> but nothing is unchangable, and what Saminda is suggesting
>> sounds really cool and useful.
>
> I agree, but I do not like to change Axis2 fundamentals then are there ,
> because over 50K download taking place per month due to fact that people out
> there happy what Axis2 does now. So why worry of changing that.  Thats the
> only worry I have. Just because OSGi is there and it is cool , we should not
> change our code base to support those. As I mentioned I have no objection
>  on implementing new AxisConfigurator based on OSGi and do what ever we want
> , but I do not like changing the current core code base to support OSGi.
> Because I do not see a value of doing that.

OK, so I disagree with this position. Yes, we get lots of downloads,
but those are of releases, and no-one is suggesting that big changes
should go in just before a release. I don't believe we would release
if something as fundamental as module deploy was broken - is there
some approach we can come up with that allows further innovation in
Axis2 without putting our release users at risk? What do you think?

I personally think that OSGI is beyond just *cool* - It's the
foundation for a number of Java web services hosting environments
(including, but not limited to: Glassfish, SpringSource App Platform,
WebSphere, JOnAS, and BEA) and so better integration with it will be a
good thing.

David