axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ruwan Linton" <ruwan.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extensions to Axis2/Java deployment engine
Date Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:06:53 GMT
Hi Saminda,

> In Synapse point of view.
>
> 1. Mediators can be written as OSGi bundles.

What is the value addition?

> When you start the bundle, the proper factory is called and build the
> relevant object model.

Even now it does very correctly ;-)

> 2. Different version of same mediator is highly possible. i.e two mediator
> can live in two different class spaces.

Why do one need two versions? Do you expect the functionality to be
different? In which case any way those are two mediators :-)

> 3. You will be able to remove Sun service providers facility of loading
> extension to bundles, which will be support in all Java implementations.

We can do the same without OSGi

> 4. Synapse guys like embedded devices ?

I didn't get this point at all, can you please explain what you meant here?

I think axis2 should provide the flexibility to use OSGi or be with the one
that we have now. For example Synapse community does not want to be OSGi
then we should be able to get the behavior that axis2 has now with the next
versions as well.

There fore I don't think it is good to do changes to the kernel which
affects the current behavior of axis2. I really like deepal's suggestions
and we should try to support OSGi features while keeping the current
behavior and we can release a different artifact of Axis2 which supports
OSGi.

Also just wanted to make sure, what is the advantage of being OSGi with Java
7 which promises to provide versionning via JAM (Java Application Modules)

Thanks,
Ruwan