axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Deepal jayasinghe <deep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on porting axis handlers to axis 2 module environment
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 04:24:06 GMT
Akitoshi Yoshida wrote:
> Hi,
> I have asked the following question in axis-user two weeks ago, but
> couldn't get any feedback.
> Could someone advice me on this issue?
> ---
> I have a best practice question on how to organize and package axis
> handlers into one or more modules.
>
> I have a set of Axis 1.4 handlers that are used in several scenarios.
> Depending on the scenarios, some handlers are not placed in the handler chain.
> It was easy to have various configurations in Axis 1.4 because you can
> specifically place these handlers based on your scenario.
>
> With Axis 2, this general flexibility has been replaced by a more
> pluggable module model where handlers are preconfigured in some
> specific order.

Yes.
> For example, suppose we have three distinct scenarios using Axis 1.4
> handlers A, B, C, D, and E.
>
> Each scenario is configured with
>
> Config 1 for scenario X
> A B C
>
> Config 2 for scenario Y
> A D B D C
>
> Config 3 for scenario Z
> D B E C
>
> How should I modify the 1.4 handlers and define new modules for Axis 2?

I hope [1] this article will help you.
> One extreme approach would be to define a module for each distinct
> scenario. But I think this is very inefficient because we will need to
> define many modules and need load the same classes for each module.

Its depend on where you are going to put the handlers ? whether it is
for particular operations or for all services and etc.
In Axis2 we have notion called "global handler" and "operational
handlers" so if you put a handler into global handlers then those
handler would be run for every service invocation. Where as if you put
handler for operational handlers then those handler will run only for
those operation invocation. So I think from that you can differentiate
and place your handler in the right location.
[1] http://www.developer.com/java/web/article.php/3529321

--
Thanks,
Deepal