axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Saminda Abeyruwan" <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r644329 - /webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/transport/http/AxisServlet.java
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:21:06 GMT
Hi,

Is there a particular reason to add the line.

msgContext.setProperty(HTTPCon

> stants.MC_HTTP_SERVLETCONTEXT, getServletContext());

You will be able to access the context from http servlet request object.

Beside the prior added line will break some of the existing production code.

getServletContext() will work properly, IFF the user's servlet inherit the
init method or if over-rides, it should called the parent init method.

In AxisServlet, yes it dose over-rides the init method and calls the parent
init.

But those of us who have extended AxisServlet to work with, where over-rides
the init method  to intialize the AxisConfiguration the way our production
system wants  does not call the parents (AxisServlet) init method.

ex:
public class MyServlet extends AxisServlet {
   public void init(ServletConfig config) {
      // my way of initializing axisconfiguration and listeners rather using
parent
     // init, but inheriting parents do* from AxisServlet.
  }

}

We used AxisServlet as show above for quite a long  time.

I'm afraid the prior line of code  has broken the backward compatibility of
re-using AxisServlet in production environments.

Thus, the correct way is to obtain the servlet context from request, rather
setting the property.

Thus, I would humbly ask to revert the commit to preserve backward
compatibility.

Thank you!

Saminda