axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2][Proposal] Move JMS / Async NIO transports out of Axis2 into Synapse
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:39:18 GMT
Hey Asankha:

Just wanted to quickly reply to this.

Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> So if we are going to have a vote on this 'topic' on axis-dev, I am +1
> to deleting the stale copies of the transports currently in Axis2.

+1, for sure.

> But if you are going to call for a vote on dev@synapse.a.o to remove
> critical code developed by the Synapse community from our SVN, to make
> it easier for axis2 users to "get" these transports, I'm definitely -1

I'm "not" exactly sure what the "quotes" mean here :), but I think you
might be looking at this the wrong way.  It's not that anyone wants to
wrest control of your code from you - it's that we want to put things
where they make sense.  Axiom (or Neethi) is just as critical to Synapse
as any of these transports, and that's in WS-Commons - do you want that
in Synapse too?  You, Asankha, as a WS-Commons committer, have exactly
as much control over the code there as you do the code in Synapse, and
of course the devs that have done the work on these up until now will
continue to work on them wherever they live.

Are you not actually interested in making it easy for Axis2 users to
obtain and use these transports?

Anyway, I think I've made my points in the other mails already; I hope
you'll step back a bit and consider.  Honestly, as long as there's a
separate transports area with individual transports releasable on their
own, I don't *really* care all that much where it is - but it does seem
to me that it makes more sense in commons than it does in Synapse, for
all the transports that are usable in both contexts.

Thanks,
--Glen