axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2][Proposal] Move JMS / Async NIO transports out of Axis2 into Synapse
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:25:45 GMT
David
> Asankha, is there something about doing this work in Axis2 that is
> difficult for you and easily changed e.g. having a separate release
> schedule for the 'extra transports',
One of the main issues here to consider is how easily we can fix issues,
create patches and release versions of the transports when Synapse wants
them.. remember that "we" are the primary users of these transports with
customers using these in production..

First of all, having the code only in axis2 trunk would mean that
sometimes we may not be even able to compile it when required ;-) , or
having to download many many more JARs each time we want to build.. and
also somehow get through the common build breaks! We will also exposed
to all changes taking place on the axis2 trunk, and forced to comply to
keep compatibility at trunk with Axis2. Usually [if not always] Synapse
depends on the last Axis2 released version. For example, we were using
Axis2 1.3 for many months, until we were ready to move to Axis2 1.4
now... and we wanted our transports to remain on Axis2 1.3 until then.

Synapse is very much dependent on transports, esp when it comes to
legacy transports other than http/s. Most of the time we need to make
changes to transports to fix bugs and/or perform enhancements. I also
believe that the NIO http/s transports is one of the most valuable and
complicated pieces of code on which Synapse relies heavily.. I don't
understand the argument that you want to make it easier for a casual
user of Axis2 to use these transports, putting the Synapse team that
develops these and uses these much more, into the "difficult" position?

If anyone wants to use any of the Synapse transports, they:
(1) Do not need to download Synapse
(2) Learn about or know Synapse
(3) Be dependent on the Synapse core JARs

All they need to do is put an entry into the pom.xml of their project to
point to the synapse-transports.jar! Technically this is no different
than a separate module in Axis2, or WS commons.. Of course they will
need to understand how each transport operates (e.g. FIX, VFS etc..)
before trying to use them.. but this is not solved by where the code
lies, but in providing documentation
> or is it more cultural that you're doing all your work in Synapse now?

Not at all! ..

asankha