axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Barrett <barre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:09:08 GMT
Hi Folks,

If we choose to stay on 1.4, remember that JAXWS requires Java 1.5 (due to
the spec-required use of generics).  I think there are a couple of modules
that require Java 1.5 to build.  Also note that in order to run the JAXWS
2.1 TCK, that will also require Java 1.5 since the TCK will test the use
of generics.

So, staying on Java 1.4 and supporting JAXWS probably means something
like:
- We have to be building with Java 1.5  to get JAXWS built
- We state that Axis2 can be run on 1.4 without JAXWS (as was true in the
past)
- To use Axis2 with JAXWS, you have to use Java 1.5

Thanks,
Jeff

IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com

"Jeremy Hughes" <hughesj@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
02/27/2008 05:15 AM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-user@ws.apache.org
cc
"axis-dev@ws.apache.org" <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
Subject
Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

+1 to moving to Java 5. I think maintenance releases could be key in
keeping those users tied to Java 1.4, interested in Axis2 until
they're ready to move up to Java 5 themselves.

Jeremy

<dms@sosnoski.com>
>  >  > wrote:
>  >  >>  From my experiences working with companies moving to Axis2 I'd
say
>  >  >>  about half are still using JDK 1.4. If they can't count on that
>  >  >> support
>  >  >>  being maintained I think they're likely to reconsider adopting
>  >  >> Axis2.
>  >  >>  Just having an archived 1.3 version of Axis2 won't be enough to
>  >  >> convince
>  >  >>  them, unless they're already committed to moving to JDK 1.5
anyway.
>  >  >>
>  >  >>  It seems like bad timing to give up one of the major advantages
>  >  >> of Axis2
>  >  >>  over the Glassfish code and such. So -0 from me.
>  >  >>
>  >  >>   - Dennis
>  >  >>
>  >  >>  --
>  >  >>  Dennis M. Sosnoski
>  >  >>  SOA and Web Services in Java
>  >  >>  Axis2 Training and Consulting
>  >  >>  http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
>  >  >>  Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >>  Deepal Jayasinghe wrote:
>  >  >>> Hi all ,
>  >  >>>
>  >  >>> As you might remember few months back Glen asked the list about
>  >  >>> moving
>  >  >>> to JDK 1.5 and I think we got very positive feedback. So I
>  >  >>> thought of
>  >  >>> asking again and change the code to work with JDK 1.5 . The main
>  >  >>> reason behind sending this mail is due the dependency we have
for
>  >  >>> annogen. As I can see that project is dead one and there is no
>  >  >>> development happening so I do not think it is a good idea to
>  >  >>> depend on
>  >  >>> such a project. In the meantime we have few issues with annogen
as
>  >  >>> well ,first  inner class problem (I have locally fixed that both

in
>  >  >>> Axis2 and Annogen will commit soon) , second is the final class
>  >  >>> problem. I request a release from annogen after the changes that
>  >  >>> Dims
>  >  >>> did , but we did not get any reply so far.
>  >  >>>
>  >  >>> We all know that we get better annotation support from JDK 1.5
so if
>  >  >>> we move to JDK 1.5 we can get rid of the annogen dependency and
>  >  >>> we can
>  >  >>> just use JDK for annotation processing.  Other problem is
generic
>  >  >>> support , if we move to JDK 1.5 we can have generic support in
our
>  >  >>> POJOs.  In addition to POJO we can get better concurrent support

in