axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <tjord...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [Axis2] Dynamic Phase support
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:29:39 GMT
I support Deepal's desire to maintain a stable 1.x release stream.  I
think he is right on the money with the "add new feature, leave existing
stuff alone".

Dynamic phases seem like they might be useful for some things (Rampart),
but just reading the design discussion makes my head hurt and will be
*really* confusing to users.

--
Tom Jordahl

-----Original Message-----
From: Deepal jayasinghe [mailto:deepalk@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:04 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Axis2] Dynamic Phase support

> hi all,
>
> First of all I don't see any problem of packaging default phases in a
> separate module. What is the advantage we get by putting them in
> axis2.xml?

Well we should not forget that we have release Axis2 1.3 and doing such
a major changes after that kind of release is not good thing. And we
should not forget about the backward compatibility.  I have no object of
doing that if we have not done Axis2 1.0 and Axis2 is not in production.

The major problem I saw here is users are expecting fixes to be in the
next release but will they use than when there are a number of such
critical changes. So I am +1 on keeping what we have now (no changes to
Axis2.xml) and have the dynamic phase support if someone want to add a
new phases. Second if we are going to change this kind of changes let's
do Axis2 2.0 not 1.4.
> if we keep the existing phases in the axis2.xml then we can not stop
> the fact that people want to change the axis2.xml time to time.
:) , why not if they want they will change axis2.xml or if they like
they will use dynamic phases.
>  This
> is the main idea of going for dynamic phases.
Nope .
> For an example now
> Security phase is before dispatch phase. if security people wants to
> move it after dispatch phase still they wants to change the axis2.xml.

yes , if that is the case we can remove security phase from axis2.xml. I
am -1 on removing Dispatch phase and other predefined phases from
axis2.xml (I am sorry for my -1)
> the only way to get rid of this problem is to define phases only in
> module.xml.
>
> On the other hand if we define some phases in axis2.xml and others in
> module.xml then it may confuse people.
Yes whole idea of Dynamic phases confuse both the run time and the
system administrators :)
That is why I still think if we want to add a new phase need to change
axis2.xml  :)
> for an example now there are
> three security phases in axis2.xml and we are going to say add the
> last one to security module.xml.

Nope , let's remove all of them
> Therefore I think better to have either dynamic phases or static
> phases rather than both.
may be but I am -1 on removing the phase from axis2.xml

-Deepal