axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas L Gallardo <nlgal...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Axis2 architecture documentation
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:30:07 GMT

So, there are a few different things at play here.

With respect to not needing SOAP, you're right.  REST is a departure from
SOAP and the existing view of a structured format for the message payload.
Data can be exchanged in whatever format you like (raw, XML, JSON, etc.).

Given that, the goal of the JSR is to provide a set of standard Java APIs
that would better support developing RESTful applications than what exists
today.  There are ways to pull it off today with some of the standard Java
APIs, but it's cumbersome.

This is certainly a big piece to bite off for a first thing to work on.  As
David suggested earlier...  it might be best to just start by scratching an
itch and finding a few JIRAs that might seem interesting.  Just my two
cents though...

Regards,

-Nick

             "Wesley Mesquita"
             <wesleymesquita@g
             mail.com>                                                  To
                                       axis-dev@ws.apache.org
             12/08/2007 06:03                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Axis2 architecture
             Please respond to         documentation
             axis-dev@ws.apach
                   e.org

So, as I understood, REST goes in a different way from that we are dealing
with WS today  in the sense that we wouldn´t deppend of technologies like
SOAP, and explore Java lower level APIs, is this right?