axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepal Jayasinghe" <deep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Dynamic Phase support
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:53:31 GMT
On 12/29/07, Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2007 9:24 PM, Deepal Jayasinghe <deepalk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No no , we are not going to remove the phases from axis2.xml . We will
> > keep then as it is , however we can add new phases without changing
> > that.
>
>  Why we need to keep this if we have dynamic phase support?

Amila ,
The problem is we have a set of default handlers then we add using
axis2.xml , so example for those handler could be our dispatchers. So
if we remove those from axis2.xml where are we going  to put them ?

> I think before doing any implementation we need to come to an agreement with
> what we expect as the dynamic phase support.
+1

> Let me express my point of view.
> Currently axis2 users can only define phases in axis2.xml. The reason for
> this is there is no way to define phases in the module.xml files. If we can
> let users to define phases in module.xml files then there is no need to
> define phase or flows in axis2.xml at all. axis2.xml can only be used to
> define AxisConfiguration parameters.
So with my changes user can define phases in module.xml , if he want
to add a new phase. Then he does not need to change axis2.xml

> Then the question comes, where we going to put the dispatch and transport
> phases? Those things can also be added to new module called Dispatch module
> (or default phase module) and shift with axis2 like addressing module.

:)

I think those dispatchers are core part of axis2 so , I do not agree
on moving them to a module. Rather I really wanted to get rid from
addressing module and keep them as core part of Axis2.

> So a module.xml (the only place to define the phases and hence handlers) has
> the following format.
>
> <module name="foo">
>    <Inflow>
>       <phase name="A" before="B" after="C">
>                 <handler name="a" before="b" after="c"/>
>                 <!-- other handlers under this phase -->
>       </phase>
>        <!-- other phase for this flow -->
>   </Inflow>
>   <!-- other flows -->
> </module>
>
> In this way the only thing users have to learn about the phase and handlers
> is that.
>
> 'Phases and Handlers can only be defined in the module.xml and a phase can
> be placed within a flow using phase rules (after, before, phase first, phase
> last) and a handler can be placed within a phase using handler rules.

I think this is too much of work to do at this point , since Axis2 is
in production .

-Deepal