axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Srinath Perera" <hemap...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:51:41 GMT
> Guys.. the confusion/problem/root cause is this.. the Synapse community
> re-wrote the JMS transport initially, and checked this into the Axis2
> Kernel module as other transports were in there at the time. Actually
> this replaced the previous JMS transport Axis2 had.
>
> Then we wrote a new non-blocking http/s transport, and kept this within
> Synapse. After some time there was a suggestion from Axis2 that we
> should check this code into Axis2 instead to make it available to a
> wider audience for usage, testing and improving overall quality as well.
> Thus we checked this into Axis2 [Kernel :-(]
+1 yes that is right way to go

> Now the problem is this.. The JMS transport was implemented for JMS 1.1,
> and the ESB community encountered users who wanted to deploy production
> apps using JMS 1.0.2. We also had a few bug fixes going into the NIO
> transport - where we couldn't wait for "the next axis2" release. We also
> developed a Apache VFS based file/ftp/sftp/.. transport lately. We would
> like to give this code to all Axis2 users for sure, but not within the
> Axis2-kernel module - as it would create issues for us to make never
> versions of these same classes for our use.
>
> As you may be already aware, Synapse is very close to transports - i.e.
> we want the maximum out of them, and would encounter most users who
> would be looking for custom transports etc. We also do lots of load
> testing for concurrency and NIO related issues.. and we want to stay
> upto-date with the latest HttpCore release. Now since we committed our
> initial transport code into Axis2-kernel, we are in a fix on making safe
> updates as and when required for Synapse releases.
>
> All we ask for is for Axis2 to create a module for transports and take
> transports out from the kernel.

OK you convinced me. I am +1 on creating module for transports.
However as David pointed out we have to do it in Axis2 major release.

One middle ground would be to create a transport module and first add
additional transports while leaving what ever we have in kernel as it
is for now. At a major release you can move other transports out as
well. (May be you can leave http transport in the core for testing
reasons, but that we can decide later). That way we can ship
additional transports with minor release without adding them to
axis2.xml, and synapse can add them via custom axis2.xml.

Thanks
Srinath

> asankha

Srinath Perera:
   Indiana University, Bloomington
   http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~hperera/
   http://www.bloglines.com/blog/hemapani

Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on
simplicity -- Plato