axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Understanding Axis2 dependencies
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:27:18 GMT
Hi Lawrence,
Let me see whether I can make sense of some of the stuff. Others will
chip in as needed and will surely holler if I make a mistake.

> Axis2 Third Party Dependencies
> ------------------------------
> activation-1.1.jar                    MIME support
> annogen-0.1.0.jar                     Annotation support
> axiom-api-1.2.5.jar                   XML pull parsing
> axiom-dom-1.2.5.jar                   XML pull parsing
> axiom-impl-1.2.5.jar                  XML pull parsing
> backport-util-concurrent-2.2.jar      ?

Thread pooling support. This feature is built in for Java 1.5 and this
particular jar has a backport of that code to Java 1.4

> commons-codec-1.3.jar                 URL encoding?
> commons-fileupload-1.1.1.jar          Used for uploading new service
>                                       files in the admin client?

Yes - needed only when using the webapp

> commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar          Used by the Axis2 kernel?

Yes - but primarily on the client side. I believe it is needed in the
server side if asynchronous calls are to be supported.

> commons-io-1.2.jar                    ?
> commons-logging-1.1.jar               Is this related to Log4J?

Well kind of. Commons logging is a common API on multiple logging
frameworks (log4j/java.util.logging) but allows the switching of the
logging engine easily. All the logging code inside the Axis2 source
are made using commons logging classes.

> geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec-1.1.jar  More annotation support?
> geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.1.jar         JMS bindings?

JMS transport really.

> httpcore-4.0-alpha5.jar               Used by the Axis2 kernel?
> httpcore-nio-4.0-alpha5.jar           Used by the Axis2 kernel?
> httpcore-niossl-4.0-alpha5.jar        Used by the Axis2 kernel?

The nio (non-blocking io) transport dependancies. Its an improved
version of the HTTP transport. My understanding is that this is used
optionally (the default Axis2.xml does not point to this transport
AFAIK) but needs confirmation

> jaxb-api-2.0.jar                      Used by the Axis2 kernel?
> jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar                   Used by the Axis2 kernel?
> jaxb-xjc-2.0.5.jar                    Used by the Axis2 kernel?

These were primarily for the Jaxb based code generation but now  the
JAX-WS module uses these as dependencies. In any case these are needed
 1. if the user needs to generate code with Jaxb data binding
 2. If he needs the JAX-WS module running (which is only on a jdk 1.5
environment)

> jaxen-1.1.1.jar                       XPath engine - where is this used?

AXIOM has a Jaxen based Xpath implementation and this jar has the core
Jaxen classes for it

> jettison-1.0-RC1.jar                  JSON StAX parser

> jibx-bind-1.1.5.jar                   Related to JAXB?
> jibx-run-1.1.5.jar                    Related to JAXB?

Nope. Jibx is an alternate databinding. My guess is one would need
these only to use Jibx generated code (databinding - either on server
side or client side)

> juli-6.0.10.jar                       ?

Juli is an alternate implementation to Java.util logging from tomcat.
Here is what the tomcat site says
 "A limitation of JDK Logging appears to be the inability to have
per-web application logging, as the configuration is per-VM. As a
result, Tomcat will, in the default configuration, replace the default
LogManager implementation with a container friendly implementation
called JULI, which addresses these shortcomings."

It seems that this one is needed only when the webapp comes to play

> log4j-1.2.14.jar                      Logging - Is this optional? I don't
>                                       always want to use Log4J - for
>                                       example, when working with Eclipse.

I suppose the default logging configuration with common-logging is
log4j. I assume we can turn it to java.util logging but most folks are
not in favor of it (it will reduce this jar though)

> mail-1.4.jar                          MIME support?

Yes

> mex-impl-1.3.jar                      ?

Metadata exchange implementation (WS-Mex).

> neethi-2.0.2.jar                      WS Policy - Is this optional?

I don't think so. This would be required both at runtime and codegen
time to process policies

> soapmonitor-1.3.jar                   Is this part of Axis2 or another
>                                       project? Is this just used by the
>                                       Axis2 runtime or is it just the
>                                       standalone SOAP monitor tool?

soapmonitor has two parts - the applet and this server side component.
We may be able to make it optional (i.e. pack it with the war only)

> stax-api-1.0.1.jar                    XML pull parsing - I think this
>                                       should be replaced in the next
>                                       version with Geronimo's
>                                       API as Axiom has made the change

I'm not sure whether the API has changed. But this jar is only the API.

> tribes-6.0.10.jar                     ?

Clustering implementation

> woden-1.0-incubating-M7b.jar          WSDL 2.0 support
> wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar                      WSDL 1.1 support
> wstx-asl-3.2.1.jar                    XML pull parsing

> xbean-2.2.0.jar                       Looks like a competitor to OSGi -
>                                       where is this used?

Don't let the name fool you :) This is actually the XMLBeans core
classes. There is a sepearate project called XBeans that has no
relation to this. This one is only needed if one uses XMLBeans
classes.

> xalan-2.7.0.jar                       XSLT - Where is this used?
> xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar                  DOM parser - Does Axis2 actually
>                                       need a DOM parser? I thought
>                                       everything was done with
>                                       pull parsing.
> xml-apis-1.3.03.jar                   DOM parser

Axis2 has some DOM based code in the code generator but the standard
VM DOM impl is sufficient for that. The above jars are used primarily
by the SAAJ impl which has a DOM level 3 dependency. JDK  1.4 included
parser (Crimson) is  DOM level 2 I believe.

> XmlSchema-1.3.2.jar                   XML schema support
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lawrence

To me it seems that we can ship certain jars only for the webapp. Also
we have been discussing three types of distros,  minimal, standard and
full which will include jars in various degrees but it seemed a bit
confusing at that time for the users (this was actually done in 1.0
release). May be it is time to restart these discussions

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its
creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain
too little falls into lazy habits of thinking - Albert Einstein