axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "keith chapman" <keithgchap...@gmail.com>
Subject [AXIS2] Proposal to implement http content negotiation
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:17:47 GMT
Hi Devs,

There have been some thought on http content negotiation. With the concept
of builders and formatters we have now this could be implemented trivially.
The idea is to use the "Accept" http header to serve the response requested
by the client. While going through this though I came across a issue though.
This occurs when a request is sent via a GET using a browser (Cause the
browser automatically adds the Accept http header). The Accept header sent
by firefox is "Accept:
text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=
0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5".  The confusion comes in because text/xml is used
for both SOAP and REST responses.

I believe having http content negotiation as a feature will be a nice
addition to Axis2. And I propose that we treat text/xml as a REST response
in implementing this. This would mean that you cannot ask for a SOAP
1.1response uaing http content negotiation (A SOAP
1.1 response will be went only when the request is SOAP 1.1 and there is no
matching value in the Accept header).

What do u think? Should we go ahead and implement this proposal?

Thanks,
Keith.

--
Keith Chapman