axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>
Subject CustomBuilder Plugpoint for StAXBuilder (WSCOMMONS-263)
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:03:02 GMT

I am soliciting input for a proposed patch to StAXBuilder.
The summary of the proposal is below.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSCOMMONS-263 for the entire
text.

--------------------------------------

Problem:
---------
During outbound processing, an OMSourcedElement may be added to the Axiom
tree to represent part of the message.
An OMSourcedElement is efficient and performant.
During inbound processing, we don't have symmetrical capability. Instead of
building an expensive
sub-tree for a header or payload, it would be nice to represent the xml as
an efficient OMSourcedElement.

Usage Scenario 1:
-----------------
A message contains WS-A headers. These are expanded into Axiom sub-trees as
the message is parsed.
During Axis2 processing, this information is converted into
EndpointReferenceTypes (POJOs).
It would be more efficient to do this conversion when the message is
parsed.
This would eliminate a translation step, excess garbage collection, etc.

Usage Scenario 2:
-----------------
A message contains a payload. The payload is expanded into an Axiom
sub-tree as the message is parsed.
(For example, assume that a handler added trace to read the whole message).

During Axis2 processing, this information is converted into an ADB or JAXB
object.
It would be more efficient to do this conversion when the message is
parsed.
This would eliminate a translation step, excess garbage collection, etc.

Solution:
---------
Introduce a new interface to Axiom, CustomBuilder.

etc.  See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSCOMMONS-263 for the
entire text.

Thanks,
Rich Scheuerle