axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas L Gallardo <nlgal...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Axis2 and WebSphere Interoperability
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:07:15 GMT

I agree completely with those that have mentioned making this a
non-automated/non-mandatory module.  There shouldn't be anything in the
tree that prevents building off-line.

Andrew, what if anything is WebSphere specific about the samples that you
want to integrate?  Nothing?  Deployment info?  Code?

Your stated goal is to:

"test interoperability with the WebSphere WS Feature Pack services[1].
Additionally, we are also interested in testing Quality of services[2]
using the same samples integrated in the Axis2 source."

So, there are two different goals here that will require different
solutions.  I'll separate my comments for each.

[1] To test interop with WebSphere (or any other web service provider for
that matter) in some semi-automated fashion, the best solution seems to be
what's been proposed by David below.  Create either a new build module or a
sub component under modules/integration and include the sample there.  What
that sample is can very as to make it effective in testing a variety of
interop scenarios.

For instance, if your sample included a few WSDL documents, you could have
the build generate the client/server artifacts using both the Axis2/ADB
APIs along with a JAX-WS/JAXB version.  Then, each of those could be
bundled up into either an Axis2 deployable AAR or a Java EE 5 deployable
EAR.  That gives anyone the flexibility to take either the client or server
and run them in a number of environments beyond just Axis2 or WebSphere.
This could include dropping the server EAR onto a Geronimo install running
CXF and interoping with Axis2 on the client side.

A generic approach would be of greatest value to the community.

[2] Any WS-* interop beyond WS-Addressing should not be integrated into the
Axis2 build in my opinion.  That said, it would be useful to have that
interop where you could leverage the samples built in [1] and
bundle/configure whatever server's QoS you wanted to do the interop.  PMC
folks, is there room in the Apache WS project for a sub project focused on
interop?  Would there be any value in getting the other Apache parties with
a vested interop interest (Sandesha, CXF, etc.) to participate?

Regards,

-Nick

             "David Illsley"
             <davidillsley@gma
             il.com>                                                    To
                                       axis-dev@ws.apache.org
             10/22/2007 05:39                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Axis2 and WebSphere
             Please respond to         Interoperability
             axis-dev@ws.apach
                   e.org

<with-IBM-hat-explicitly-removed>
:-) I don't think you want to put the websphere samples in that
directory (modile/integration/manual)... I don't think it actually
builds, and it may not have a long lifespan (see below).

How about you create a module in modules/integration/websphere which
isn't hooked in to the build by default. My maven2-fu is a little
rusty but it should be possible for you to include a couple of
different profiles - one for local axis2 testing and one to test
against a published endpoint. If that works we could at a later point
consider integrating that into the build, with the local axis2 profile
being the default.

I'd warn you up-front that you'll probably have to maintain these
yourself or they'll quickly break and probably be ignored, and if
that's the case then after a while (like will probably happen to
modules/integration/manual when I get a chance) they will be deleted.

I do think that (re?)creating public interop for WS-* is a good thing
and this seems like a simple (and easily reversed if it doesn't work
out) thing to do.
David

On 22/10/2007, Andrew Das <andrewadas@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> developers can run our samples against a snapshot or released Axis2
build.
> This will free us from managing and maintaining the test cycles, if done
> internally. Furthermore, it will be a good story for IBM by demonstrating
> publicized effort to test interoperability.
>
> I have also noticed that Sun has introduced their interoperability
samples.
> So I do not imagine our request to be unique in any way. Please correct
me
> if I am wrong. We could place the samples in the same module as Sun is
> using. For example, the Sun samples I am referring to are under:
> <root>\Axis2\modules\integration\manual\src\test\interop\sun
>
> Thanks Eran.
>

> On 10/19/07, Eran Chinthaka <chinthaka@opensource.lk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > 1.Why do you want to put them "inside" Axis2?
> > Until convinced otherwise, I am not sure whether we need to add those
> > interop tests to main build. And also why can not you host that in your
> > end? That question is somewhat related to Q1.
> >
> > 2. Where do you want to put them? There is a module inside Axis2, which
> > of course is used to test widely used WSDLs. If you really want, the
> > best place is it.
> >
> > Some of our Axis2 devs worked inter-operating with other platforms
also,
> > but we never thought of putting them "inside" Axis2. So why do you
think
> > we should put those Websphere specific examples inside Axis2?
> >
> > Please help us to understand the above concerns.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chinthaka
> >
> > Andrew Das wrote:
> > > Hi David,
> > > Thanks for the quick response. The samples we intend to add are
> > > specifically designed and customized for WebSphere services. I am not
> > > certain the current Axis2 samples will work. Additionally, I can
foresee
> > > future changes to the WebSphere sample clients based on API/spec
> > > changes, so mucking with the Axis2 samples would not be a good idea.
> > > Finally, our endpoints will be hardcoded and we need to have enough
> > > flexibility to change those in the future.
> > >
> > > Not sure if my response helped. As I mentioned earlier, we are
looking
> > > for the best way to accomplish WebSphere interoperability. Therefore
> > > am open to new suggestions if it will help us integrate with Axis2
and
> > > satisfy our goals.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > On 10/19/07, *David Illsley* <davidillsley@gmail.com
> > > <mailto:davidillsley@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     Hi Andrew,
> > >     It's not entirely clear to me what you're trying to do... are you
> > >     looking to add client and service samples into the axis2 build
which
> > >     you can then run against WebSphere? If so, how do the existing
Axis2

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/samples/