axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Understanding Axis2 dependencies
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:15:57 GMT
Lawrence Mandel wrote:
>> the situation with dependencies may be improved by carefully
>> restructuring Axis2 code into a number of smaller jars
>> (kernel + options)
>
> I think this idea can work so long as:
>
> 1. The kernel is small and contains what you need to get started. i.e. It
> is possible to run Axis2 with just the kernel.
> 2. The options are separate downloads listed on the downloads page with
> good descriptions next to each as to why you need it. For example,
>
> Downloads
>
> Axis2
>
> Optional Downloads
>
> Log4J support   log4j.jar           Adds support for the Log4J logger to
> Axis2
> Mime support    activation-1.1.jar  Adds support for Mime binding types to
> Axis2
>
> The key is to keep things simple and easy for users to understand. There
> can also be a large download that contains everything for people who want
> to download it all in one shot.
>
> Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

One can take this one step further and put together a 'shopping list'
packager intended to generate custom deployment packages based on a
selection of options made by the user: 'I want Axis2 with HTTP transport
for the client side and JMS transport for the server side'. The packager
could use Maven metadata or even Maven itself to resolve all required
dependencies, pull them out an Maven repo and put into, say, a ZIP file.

Oleg