axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Understanding Axis2 dependencies
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:37:50 GMT
Hi folks:

Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Tom Jordahl <tjordahl@adobe.com> wrote:
>> I actually think that the JDK 1.4 logging APIs would probably do the
>> trick, not have "jar hell" problems, and be functional enough for most
>> everyone.
>
> Agreed :) But if we are to change all the commons logging references
> it will be a long hard effort (just speculation though). If my
> understanding is right, we can set the configuration to use the
> java.util logging quite easily and not ship the log4j.jar.

If we really don't want to use log4j, I'd be ok with the idea of
switching the commons-logging config to use the JDK logger.  I'd rather
not switch entirely away from commons-logging, though... since Axis2 is
an embeddable library as well as a service container in it's own right,
it may be placed into environments where there is already a running
logging framework (maybe not whichever one we pick).  If that's the case
commons-logging can be easily rejiggered to integrate.

--Glen