axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] [IMPORTANT] JDK 1.4 compatibility - feedback requested
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:54:06 GMT
Hi Glen,

I wanted to throw my two cents in on this as it's an important issue.
In short, I think Axis2 should continue to support both, especially
if it wants to encourage stragglers to migrate from 1.x. Most of
Sourcelabs' customers are inherently conservative Global 2000
companies, most of them use Axis 1.x in one form or another, and none
of them have completely migrated to 1.5.  The reasons for this are
generally the result of company policy -- internal standards and the
desire to minimize upgrades being prominent reasons for said policy.
The process of moving to 1.5 for them will be a long and painful one,
and they are much more likely to be interested in or need to migrate
to Axis2 before upgrading to Java 1.5.  Our customers would find
migrating to Axis2 much more palatable if they didn't need to upgrade
to Java 1.5 at the same time. I suspect the same is probably true of
many users of Axis in the enterprise.

Thanks,
Bjorn