axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From R J Scheuerle Jr <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] JAXWS, Axis2 1.3, and RC2 on 7/13
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:16:46 GMT

Rich Scheuerle
IBM Web Services
Apache Axis2 (
512-838-5115  (IBM TL 678-5115)

Glen Daniels <> wrote on 07/11/2007 05:02:49 PM:

> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > Does it matter what date *exactly* the branch gets cut? either way we
> > need to make sure that you have some place to work. Would it be
> > suffice to say, we should cut the branch when we cut RC2 and that at
> > any point of time, there will be somewhere where the work can go on?

> Broader question - I apologize if I missed something, but what is the
> big deal about the branch?  As per the release process guidelines we
> voted on months ago, changes (in general) happen on the trunk and get
> merged over to the branch.  So if you're waiting for a branch to have a
> "safe place to work and not disturb the trunk" or something like that (I
> don't mean to presume anything, I really just don't know what's going
> on), that doesn't sound right.

> If you want a branch to do experimental work on, that is NOT the purpose
> of a release branch - cut your own whenever you please.  If you've got
> stuff which needs to go in to 1.3, and it doesn't break the build, check
> it in! :)  If you are making serious changes that affect architecture or
> APIs, please post diffs and/or a pre-commit discussion thread so we can
> vet them... and THEN check them(*) in! :)

Hi Glen,

We are not working on anything experimental or controversial.  All of our
(at this point) are to push JAX-WS towards CTS compliance.  The changes
outside of jaxws and metadata modules
are (IMHO) minor changes and bug fixes.  We are not changing APIS.  We
would like to get all of this work
into RC2...but we don't want to hold up RC2 for our changes.  Having a
branch when RC2 is cut is only necessary so
that we can continue work and have these fixes for the 7/20 (per Matt's