axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r547848 - in /webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2: engine/AxisServer.java transport/SimpleAxis2Server.java
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:27:14 GMT
Hi,
Ok here is a brief explantion of what we discussed during the
hackathon and since it was not extensively recorded in IRC i believe
it will do good to know the thought process and perhaps it will cool
down this heated discussion :)

We were discussing the user guide .The general consensus was that the
current documentation lacks a 'quick starter guide'. Right now one has
to scan through at least 4 pages to get to the first code block which
will be annoying if you are looking to use Axis2 quickly. Most of the
OSS projects (and even products!) tend to have a quick starter guide
which is a one page guide of doing the most common tasks. This is
lacking in Axis2 and we ended up outlining this quick starter guide.
After all the quality matters more than the quantity in this case.

Anyway one important topic that came up in this discussion was the
importance of having simple ways of doing the basic things. So
inspired by Glens shortest possible service deployment testing effort
Deepal wrote this AxisServer. IMO its more of a utility (which
provides a convenience) rather than an API change or a new
functionality addition. If others think it should not be pushed right
now I'm also fine with that but IMHO its a collection of things you
would anyway do to programmatically deploy a service. (Maybe a name
change to something like AxisServerUtility would make it obvious ?)

> Does this work for you? please see svn revision 547859.
>
> *new AxisServer(true).deployService("className");

This seems reasonable to me. I have to agree that it would be better
to explicitly state the conditions in this case.

--
Ajith Ranabahu