axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Add the ability to use a "client.xml"??
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:40:42 GMT
I was teaching an Axis2 course last week and I was explaining the way
that we keep the multiple configurations separate, yet composable: in
other words the way that on the server side, the combination of
axis2.xml, module.xml(s) and services.xml group together to create the
correct configuration.

It occurred to me that while we have the server side really "sussed"
the client side isn't so nice. Generally what happens is either:
1) you code a lot of options.setProperty(...) tags
or
2) you take a complete axis2.xml and edit it and then have to specify
where it is on the filesystem, URL, etc, along with a repository path.

It made me think that it might be cool to add the ability to have a
"client.xml" which is composed with whatever axis2.xml configuration
the client is using to configure this particular client.

This would let me set or override the sort of things I need to set in
a client: the engaged modules, the proxy settings, the choice of which
SOAP namespace and/or WSA version, and I guess most importantly, the
policy to use, but without having to maintain a complete axis2.xml.

I would think that it would be useful to be able to configure this on
a client using either a direct path or a classpath search. For
example:

serviceClient.configureFromURL("c:/stuff/myClient.xml");
serviceClient.configureFromClasspath("stockquoteClient.xml");

This isn't a fully baked proposal, but I thought it might get some
interest, and make Axis2 easier to use.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle