axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Please stop abusing -1's
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:27:04 GMT
David Illsley wrote:

> That's not a distinction that I think holds water. If I go ahead and
> ignore a -1 in a discussion, I fully expect the commit to be -1'd for
> whatever reasons were given in the discussion, the effect is the same
> (there's not a visible social norm here to make me expect anything
> else).
>
> I'd expect a reasonable amount of friction to be generated if I went
> ahead and ignored a couple of -1s in a mail thread and committed the
> code anyway. You don't think that would happen?

No.

Are you saying that if during the discussion of some topic some folks
express disagreement via -1 and then even if the decision is to go ahead
(via consensus) but then when the commit comes the dissenters will -1 the
commit (thereby effecting a veto)?? I don't see that happening here .. but
if it is then we definitely have major problems community-wise.

Please point to some cases where this has happened so we can immediately
work towards correcting this.

Thanks for pursuing with this topic; we need to be a proper, open,
welcoming community and if there are mistakes made (including (and
probably) by me) I'd like to work towards correcting them immediately.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.