axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Please stop abusing -1's
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:49:37 GMT
David Illsley wrote:
> I agree with Srinath, I'd prefer to see consensus building rather than
> vetoes.

David, this is a fundamental misunderstanding of Apache voting rules. -1s
*DO NOT* mean vetos except for code commits .. and those MUST be
accompanied by explanations.

When someone has committed the code already, if you have an objection the
only way to get serious attention to it is to say "sorry; this commit
cannot go thru and here's why". Its a status quo thing- the committed code
is now status quo and if the objector doesn't get to put the committer in
defensive mode they are naturally at a losing proposition.

> Bluntly, in an open source project I fully expect there to be
> decisions made I don't entirely like, but which are supported by

Of course.

> others. That's happened to me in the past year and I know it's
> happened to others. When the number of vetoes outnumbers the -0's or
> 'I don't like this', it suggests that we've lost sight of that and
> that individuals are expecting everything to exactly match their
> mental model.

I also watch this list carefully to make sure we have a good community and
don't get the sense that we've come to the scenario you are describing.
Are you of the feeling that we have? If so then we definitely have to do

> I honestly believe that the majority of the contributors have
> reasonably well aligned goals and an understanding of the current
> design consensus. Lots of vetoes are therefore, to me, not an
> indication of real technical differences, but of communication and
> collaboration problems (which -1's don't seem to help.. a self
> perpetuating cycle.)

+1 that -1s tend to be an indication of a lack of collaboration more than
anything else.

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation;
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;
Director; Open Source Initiative;
Member; Apache Software Foundation;
Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa;

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message