axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Thilina Gunarathne" <cset...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Skipping 1.2.1 (Re: [Axis2] What's next - 1.2.1 or 1.3?)
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 05:27:14 GMT
Well Dims, how about
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2663... I do not think
there are work arounds for that.. Anyway my requirement does not block
skipping Axis2 1.2.1 as I'm already depending on the trunk... But
there may be others who need proper class loading from the service
archive..

I'm +1 for skipping 1.2.1 only if we are going to release 1.3 whiting
another months time.. But with the new release process and the large
amount of changes my guess is that the 1.3 would take at least another
two months..

IMO we should not forget the unfortunate outcomes of not doing a quick
1.0.1after finding critical bugs with Axis2 1.0 , which gave lot of
bad publicity for Axis2...

Thanks,
Thilina

> Dennis,
>
> "ADB unwrapping" and JAXB codegen are not super-critical IMHO. If i
> see JIRA's from users clamoring for these, then i am likely to change
> my opinion. These are my 2 cents. I definitely agree about backward
> compat and documentation changes.
>
> thanks,
> dims
>
> On 5/15/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> > ADB unwrapping was broken, which seems pretty critical to me. I know
> > Amila fixed that, though I don't know if he created a Jira on the issue.
> > The JAXB code generation was also broken, at least for cases with
> > multiple schemas in the WSDL. I don't know the status of that one. Those
> > are the problems I've personally encountered in some limited testing
> > with the 1.2 release. Aren't there also a number of problems in the
> > schema handling for WSDL2Java?
> >
> > But at this point we can't even test Rampart with 1.2, AFAIK. If Rampart
> > can do a 1.2 release without changes to Axis2 1.2 then perhaps it's
> > reasonable to stay with the existing 1.2. In the future I don't think it
> > makes sense to do an Axis2 release at all without at least working test
> > builds of Rampart for that release. To say that it's a separate mar is
> > just begging the issue - Rampart provides core functionality for
> > enterprise users of Axis2, and the code is so intimately tied to the
> > Axis2 and AXIOM code that you need a specific build of Rampart to match
> > an Axis2 release. That's why I now think it was a mistake to split it
> > out of the Axis2 codebase - by doing so we've created the need for a lot
> > more coordination without any gains in flexibility that I can see.
> >
> > My feeling is that for Axis2 to be usable in enterprise environments the
> > releases need to be maintained with critical fixes. I've been doing this
> > for the axis2-jibx module myself, since that's easily handled in
> > isolation. I also don't think we should break backward compatibility
> > unless it's absolutely necessary, and if compatibility is broken we
> > should document it as part of the release notes.
> >
> >   - Dennis
> >
> > Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > > Dennis,
> > >
> > > Do you have a list of critical bugs from 1.2? that needs to be fixed?
> > > All bugs i have seen so far have some sort of work around.
> > >
> > > Rampart is not part of Axis2 codebase. There is nothing stopping
> > > rampart folks from shipping a mar for Axis2 1.2.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > dims

I'm
I don't