axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Skipping 1.2.1 (Re: [Axis2] What's next - 1.2.1 or 1.3?)
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 20:36:22 GMT
I think skipping 1.2.1 is a bad idea. So far each major Axis2 release
has gone out with critical bugs found shortly after release. A 1.2.1
release will at least fix these critical bugs for 1.2 (hopefully without
creating a bunch of new ones). Just moving to 1.3 from trunk, on the
other hand, is likely to create at least as many new critical bugs as it
fixes.

We really need better quality control for Axis2 to achieve the level of
use it deserves. When 1.3 does come out I'd hope it would be subject to
more rigorous testing than what has gone before. I'd suggest that for
this one we do a more realistic release progression, starting with a
branch and a beta release from that branch, then moving on to a release
candidate once we really think the code is solid - and holding at that
release candidate for at least a couple of weeks of final testing before
the official release.

The Rampart process should follow the same path and same schedule. I'm
starting to wonder if it even made sense to split Rampart out of the
Axis2 codebase, since I don't think there's much point in doing an Axis2
release without a corresponding Rampart release. The current situation
of having an Axis2 1.2 release with no corresponding Rampart release
means that most enterprise users are stuck back at Axis2 1.1.1 (the
working version of 1.1, and the last release for which WS-Security is
available).

  - Dennis