axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Engaging modules at runtime.
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 14:42:03 GMT
Hi Saminda!

sumedha rubasinghe wrote:
> forwarding with correct prefix...
>
> Saminda Abeyruwan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> AxisConfiguration has the following methods,
>>
>>   public void engageModule(AxisModule axisModule, AxisConfiguration
>> axisConfig)
>>             throws AxisFault {
>>         engageModule(axisModule);
>>     }   --- > [1]
>>
>>     private void engageModule(AxisModule module) throws AxisFault
>> {...} --> [2]
>>
>> What is the purpose of [1]. Wouldn't it better to modify the access
>> modifier of [2] to *public* and remove [1].

+1!

However, this is a slightly more complicated problem.  The
engageModule(AxisModule, AxisConfiguration) API comes from
AxisDescription, so we'd need to change THAT one to really do this.
This is exactly what I think we should do, since all AxisDescription
objects should be able to find their AxisConfiguration without any
problem - therefore they shouldn't need to have it passed in (and in
fact even leaving the API the option of passing it means that it's
possible for people to screw up and pass a *different* AxisConfiguration
than the one the current object belongs to... good APIs should protect
against things like this).

So I'd propose we remove the first version, and refactor the second
version up to AxisDescription.

--Glen