axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Barrett <barre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Release process
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:55:50 GMT
Nice!  +1 with one possible caveat....

At one time on the list there was a discussion of doing a "code reformat"
prior to each release.  I know that's not in the list below, and that's a
Very Good Thing.  I don't think we should do a code format prior to a
release (or indeed, ever again); we should be keeping the format correct
as we commit changes.

Thanks,
Jeff

IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com

"Davanum Srinivas" <davanum@gmail.com>
04/23/2007 11:44 AM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [axis2] Release process

+1 from me.

thanks,
dims

On 4/23/07, David Illsley <davidillsley@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > --- Cutting a branch
> >
> > * When a release is ready to go, release manager (RM) puts forward a
> > release plan as per standard Apache process, including dates.  This
gets
> > VOTEd on by the committers.  During this period the trunk is still the
> > only relevant source base.
> >
> > * As soon as a release is approved (or even before), RM should add the
> > new version into JIRA as a target.
> >
> > * At the point where we would normally do the "code freeze" for a
> > release, the RM cuts a branch named for the release.  This branch is
> > where the release candidates and releases will happen.
> >
> > * Ideally a release branch is only around for a week or maybe two
before
> > the release happens.
> >
> > * The only things that should EVER get checked into the release branch
> > are - 1) bug fixes targeted at the release, 2) release-specific
updates
> > (documentation, SNAPSHOT removal, etc).  In particular new
functionality
> > does not go here unless it is a solution to a JIRA report targeted at
> > the release.
> >
> > * Normal development continues on the trunk.
> >
> > --- Dependencies and branches
> >
> > * The trunk should always be "cutting edge" and as such should usually
> > be pointing at SNAPSHOT versions of all dependencies.  This allows for
> > continuous integration with our partner projects.
> >
> > * Soon after a release branch is cut, the RM is responsible for
removing
> > ALL dependencies on SNAPSHOT versions and replacing them with
officially
> > released versions.  This change happens only on the release branch.
> >
> > --- Managing change and issue resolution with a release branch
> >
> > * The RM goes through JIRA issues and sets "fix for" to point to both
> > "NIGHTLY" and the new branched release number for the fixes that are
> > targeted for the release after the branch is cut.
> >
> > * In general, the assignee/coder fixes JIRA issues or makes other
> > changes *on the trunk*.  If the JIRA issue is targeted at the release,
> > or upon coder's discretion, they then merge the fix over to the
release
> > branch.
> >
> > * This way the trunk is ALWAYS up-to-date, and we don't have to worry
> > about losing fixes that have only been made on the release branch.
> >
> > * When the assignee resolves an issue, they confirm it's been fixed in
> > both branches, if appropriate.
> >
> > --- Checking changes into the branch
> >
> > * If bug fixes are needed later for a release which has long since
> > happened (to fix user issues, etc), those fixes generally should also
> > happen on the trunk first assuming the problem still exists on the
trunk.

> > * There are only two cases where we would ever check anything into the
> > branch without first checking it into the trunk.  1) Release specific
> > items (release number references, release notes, removal of
SNAPSHOTs),