axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Jordahl" <tjord...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Towards an Axis 1.5 Release (Reprised)
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:55:37 GMT
I am +1 to an Axis 1.5 addressing critical issues (and maybe even not so
critical) in the bug system.

I would recommend adding https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2647
to the list.

My product is still on Axis 1.2.1.  The reason is because Axis 1.x has
lost a critical mass of people (myself included) who understand enough
about how it works to really evaluate patches.  We then start taking
'harmless' patches that end up breaking other stuff.  So at this point I
am staying with the bug set I know. :-(

As far as helping out, I am in a long closedown cycle right now, but I
should be able to take a 1.5 beta release and run it through our web
service regression suite sometime early this summer.

--
Tom Jordahl
Adobe

-----Original Message-----
From: Bjorn Townsend [mailto:bjorn@sourcelabs.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:19 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Towards an Axis 1.5 Release (Reprised)

All,

I sent out an email on March 30th soliciting responses to a proposed
release plan for an Axis 1.5 release.  I haven't gotten any responses
to it yet (though I did see Dims reference it in response to a user's
question the following week) so I thought I'd respectfully request
your thoughts on the matter once again.  Here's a link to the
proposed release plan once again:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/Axis1%2e5ReleasePlan

Before work on Axis 1.5 can truly begin, we need to get the tests
working. Currently, the Axis 1.4 and Axis 1.x trunk test suites
cannot be run successfully. I've already put a little work into this,
and opened two new issues in the Axis JIRA to track the problems:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2649 (Tests throw errors
when run from within an svn working directory) - NOTE: I've attached
a patch with a potential fix in JIRA for this one
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2650 (Tests depending on
the services hosted at soapinterop.java.sun.com cannot run)

Obviously the second problem is by far the greater one -- it's due to
the fact that the soapinterop.java.sun.com host is no longer
responding, so the services that the tests depended on cannot be
accessed.  I'm hoping to get some input on how best to solve this
problem, and have put forth the options as I see them in the JIRA
issue itself.  I plan to tackle the problem, but I'd really like to
get input on which way to proceed.

I'd also really like to get input on my release plan proposal.  Is
anyone else interested in working on Axis 1.5?

Thanks,
Bjorn