axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Release process
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:55:36 GMT
Hi Ajith!

Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> When fixing the bugs for the release how would the commits happen ? I
> mean do we do the changes to both the branch and the trunk at the same
> time or is it the release manager who has to do the merging ?

This is covered explicitly:

>> > * In general, the assignee/coder fixes JIRA issues or makes other
>> > changes *on the trunk*.  If the JIRA issue is targeted at the release,
>> > or upon coder's discretion, they then merge the fix over to the release
>> > branch.
>> >
>> > * This way the trunk is ALWAYS up-to-date, and we don't have to worry
>> > about losing fixes that have only been made on the release branch.
>> >
>> > * When the assignee resolves an issue, they confirm it's been fixed in
>> > both branches, if appropriate.

So in answer to your question yes, the person fixing the bug generally
does the fix in the trunk first, then merges over to the branch.  This
means that the person most familiar with the changes is responsible for
merging, and the RM doesn't have to do it.

The RM has general responsibility for deciding (or at least facilitating
a decision about) *which* fixes are targeted to the branch, but it's the
  individual coder who does the work.

--Glen