axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] Changes on the 1_2 branch (VOTE)
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:51:48 GMT
Hi Afkham!

Afkham Azeez wrote:
> Do the fixes in the branch need to be necessarily carried out on the
> trunk as well. I'm asking this since we'd be merging the code in the
> branch with the trunk eventually.

The problem is that the longer we go without merging, the more likely it
is we'll have conflicts, or heaven forbid fix the same problem twice (if
someone working on trunk hasn't noticed that the bug has been fixed on
the branch, say).  It also becomes much more of a pain to have one
person do a giant merge where they don't necessarily have intimate
knowledge of all the conflicts, as opposed to the people making the
individual fixes simply merge them over when they're fresh in the mind.

Also, we always want the trunk to carry the latest fixes and
improvements so people can move forward there without having to wait for
a big post-release merge to pick up fixes.  In fact, I think it likely
makes the most sense to fix bugs on the trunk *first*, and then merge
those changes over to the release branch, rather than the other way around.

--Glen