axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Ann Robinson <robins...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Issues with the current code base
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:46:48 GMT

Sanjiva,

>IMO its everyone's responsibility to make sure Axis2 performs well.
>Telling someone else to run perf tests, do profiling and then point out
>the place to fix is silly .. that person might as well fix it. Can't Ann
>write some tests and check the perf and confirm all is koshure??
>
>I'd prefer to be having this conversation with Ann .. not that I don't
>like to chat with you Bill ;-)).
>
>Sanjiva.

Do you have some specific concerns about performance?  Do you have
any specific scenarios to consider?

Ann
WebSphere Development, Web Services Engine
IBM

             Sanjiva
             Weerawarana
             <sanjiva@opensour                                          To
             ce.lk>                    axis-dev@ws.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             02/01/2007 10:03
                                       Re: [Axis2] Issues with the current
                                       code base
             Please respond to
             axis-dev@ws.apach
                   e.org

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 06:10 -0800, Bill Nagy wrote:
> Hi Rajith,
>
> Usage of the serialization is/will be configurable through Sandesha --
> Matt said that he would be adding code to do that (if it isn't there
> already.)  If the serialization doesn't get invoked, then all that will
> occur will be a few no-op method invocations.
>
> I don't agree with point 5 being a "definite no no."  I believe that it
> is a matter of personal preference and if the author of the code
> believes that it makes it easier to read and doesn't create issues then
> so be it.  Any reasonable editor today will have no difficulty locating
> the definition if you need to look at it.

I disagree- as an open source effort we should write in ways that
everyone can easily read and understand. These conventions are not
tailorable for personal preference!

It seems to me that most people declare variables at the top and methods
below. Is that such a hard convention to accept?

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.